Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Spiritual Birthday Card (and yours if you want it)

I've been spending some time with the Lord today.  It's a special day for the two of us.  Today is my spiritual birthday - the day I was born again - the day God changed my heart from stone to flesh.  It happened November 8, 1988.  The scripture He used was Romans 10:9-11.  "because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one concusses and is saved."     I usually just say Romans 10:9-10, but verse 11 was a huge help to me.  It adds "For the Scripture says, 'Everyone who believes in Him will not be put to shame.'"  And shame... well, that was my calling card.

Today though... I'm 23 years old in the Lord.  So is my mom... HAPPY BORN-AGAIN DAY, MOM!

I don't usually share this day with anyone.  It belongs to God.  I try to spend my day in prayer and in the word, but mostly just waiting for God to speak to me.  But today was especially lonely for me.  Not sure if it's just grief hanging on or what.  So I "made my requests known to God" and told him I could at least use a birthday card.  He agreed... so He sent me one.  I thought I would share it with my friends... maybe you could use a birthday card too.


Dennie (You may insert your own name...) my daughter (or son)...

     I remember your birthday well... I chose you and adopted you as my child through Jesus Christ, according to My own perfect will, to the praise of My glorious grace that I've blessed you with in Myself.  I redeemed you through My blood, forgave your sins according to the riches of My grace which I lavished on you.  As your first birthday gift, I've given you an inheritance (Myself and eternal life) and sealed you with the promised Holy Spirit.  Because of My great love for you I made you alive together with Me and raised you up and seated you in the heavenlies with Myself.  Why?  So I could show the immeasurable riches of My grace in kindness toward you - your salvation is ALL of Me and you are My workmanship created for good works which I prepared in advance for you to walk in.  No pining, daughter, over all that could have been.  I called you and justified you at just the right time, when I was pleased to reveal Myself to you.
     I am your light and your salvation, the stronghold of your life.  I am your confidence in times of fear.  Come, dwell in the house of the Lord and gaze upon My beauty and inquire of Me.  I hide you in My shelter, conceal you under the cover of My tent and lift you high upon a rock.  I lift up your head and fill you with joy.  I am gracious to you and answer you.  I'm found when You seek me.  I am Your help and I never forsake you - though others have forsaken you, I have taken you in.  I'm teaching you and leading you on a level path.  Look upon My goodness, child, and take courage.  I'm not done with you.  What I have begun I will complete.  I will cause your love to abound more and more with knowledge and all discernment so that you may approve what is excellent, and so that you will be pure and blameless, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes straight from Me.  I have not stopped setting you free and transforming you into My image.  More and more you will know that I'm not limited by any of your frailties - in fact, I bring Myself glory through them.  So boast in your weaknesses so that my power will rest on you.  My grace toward you will not prove vain.  Open your hands, lift up your face and seek Mine.  We have only just begun the journey.  Happy birthday.  Abba Father.
(Loosely based on these verses:  Eph. 1:5-14 & 2:4-10; Psalm 27; Php. 1:6-11; 2 Cor 3:17-18 & 12:9)

No comments: