Thursday, September 1, 2011

Daughters of the King

I was sitting here thinking about some of the talk shows on tv that showcase diversity in women... you probably know which ones I'm hinting at.  They all have a different VIEWpoint and they all TALK as thought the world would perish without their opinions.  I struggle with them because the claim is that, because they are women in different seasons and professions, at least one opinion at the table will be one that you can agree with.  Their mouths never seem to parrott any of my thoughts.  You are free to disagree, but that's how it is for me.  I almost always have a different view... and maybe it's because I'm seated in a completely different place.

Tonight I sat with 4 amazing young women.  We discussed the biblical roles of men and women in marriage and in ministry.  Well, I'm afraid I pontificated more than discussed... but I'm the elder in the group.  Oops... sorry men... probably should have used a different term.  [grin]  I'm older.  I probably graduated several years before these women were even born. 

This has been an exceptionally emotional week.  I started my week with a chat with my mom.  My dad is in the hospital.  I won't share details, but I will say this:  my mom is in an exceptionally difficult place right now.  I bumped into another woman that is visiting for a couple weeks.  She and I used to attend the same church.  She's this vibrant, sometimes quirky, Spirit-filled-beauty of a woman that absolutely delights my heart.  She rides motorcycles and makes me smile and has a heart for broken women.  I met with two women over coffee and cookies, two of my closest confidants.  Both of them ticked off a list of trials that would make anyone throw up a white flag in surrender.  Our conversation spanned the gap of tomatoes to kids leaving to heartbreaks to pony haircuts to sex.  Yes... I said the "S" word.  I had breakfast with a woman that I meet with weekly.  I love her.  We catch up on the week's dramas.  We try to encourage one another to take the next step... whatever that might be.  Just before I left the restaurant to go home, another woman I know popped in.  She wears a bandana and cap on her head.  I've known alot of women, but I've never characterized too many of them as brave.  But she is.  Smiling she told me about how blown away she has been by the outpouring of love in our community and from her friends as she faces one of the toughest challenges anyone can face.  I came home to find a plea for prayer and advice from my sweet daughter... we won't go into that... but I spent time today weeping and praying over her and then feebly attempted to counsel her.  She is beyond precious to me.  Moments later a friend of mine called in distress not knowing what to say to another woman that she loves so dearly... a life and death situation.  My heart was broken again in prayer and tears for her.  Later, I received an email from a woman that was precious to me, but whom I had hurt in some way.  She missed me and wants to see me.  Forgiveness happens.  And then these 4.... it's usually five but one was missing from the fold.  Turns out she spent the evening in the ER but didn't want to worry her friends.  (She's going to be fine, by the way.)  Back to the four...Tonight we talked about the other "S" word: submission.  And relationships.  And God's desire to see women flourish in ministry.  And God's design for order and security and love in marriage. 

If I took all these women and put them at one table, their ages would range from 22 to 83.  Their spiritual backgrounds vary.  They are from all kinds of denominations of faith.  They are from all kinds of homes... some dysfunctional, some godly, some somewhere in between.  They are from all sorts of vocations.  Some are married, some are planning to marry, some wish they could marry, some wouldn't marry again if you paid them, some are trying to hang on to their marriages, some are trying to let go of them.  But I think I could sit them all down at one table and ask two questions and get the same answer from all of them.

Ladies... what is your greatest need and what is your treasure?  And they would answer in unison: 
Jesus.

In engaging these women, I was reminded of my greatest need.  How can I answer, counsel, teach, be kind,  motivate, encourage, rebuke, rejoice with, weep with, be a friend to, serve or love any of these without Jesus?  There is no true word, no comfort, no answer, no action, no joy, no love, nothing of any worth that I can offer apart from Him.  Not of any worth anyway.  And it is because of Him that I know them.  Every perfect gift, including each of these women, comes from Him.  They remind me that He is my greatest treasure.

My heart melts when I think of these women and all that they face and the way that they face it.  Chins lifted up, faces to the Son... all of them.  Gifts from the Father... all of them.  Wonders to behold... all of them.  I love them so.  And oh, how Jesus must also.  The daughters of the King are altogether beautiful.


Copyright 2011 Sharon Denise Dorminy

No comments: