Monday, July 16, 2012

Mighty Men...

Sometimes my mom-heart almost can't stand it... I'm overwhelmed by God's goodness.  Today was one of those days.  It was a day of watching my mighty men be mighty.  No - nothing audacious.  Let me show you "might" in action.

Jon quietly got up this morning, got ready, and we went to Church @ Martinsburg.  We hardly spoke.  But read a little deeper.  We didn't have to get up and ask, "Are we going to church today?"  My mighty man leads me quietly every Sunday.

After services, we went to my youngest son's home.  It's a little apartment that sits above a Chinese Restaurant.  Reminds me of "Barefoot In The Park" - I don't know why.  Along with my other son and his wife, we were treated to lunch.  The six of us sat around the table.  Something was said in jest and my son said, "No, because my family is my responsibility."  My mighty men care for their wives.

My other son pitched an idea a few weeks ago that came to fruition tonight.  He wanted our family to start having a devotional time together on Sunday nights.  Both of my sons thought it would be a good idea to have it in place so that when their children come along, it's a discipline we already have in place as a family.  My mighty men are serious about their faith, our faith, and the faith of their wives and children.

So tonight, one son read through some of the questions of John Piper's Baptist Catechism and the rest of us read back the answers.  We meditated on the truths of who God is.  He shared a quick devotional - profound in its simplicity:  The entire Bible can be summed up in this way - "Kill the dragon - Get the girl."  My other son led worship with his guitar.  (And I won't tell you how we ended - I'll leave the laughs for the family.)

Sometimes when I think back on my past, their pasts... I want to put my face on the floor in utter awe.  In spite of the many mistakes I've made as a wife and mom, God has graciously given me His mighty men to inspire and humble me.  My mighty men are proof (along with me) that God is killing the dragon and is constantly getting His "girl".

(See Douglas Wilson for an explanation on the statement "kill the dragon, get the girl.")

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this, Denise! Gonna have to track down the whole kill the dragon thing!