Friday, May 18, 2012

Dennie Dorminy, Bird Killer

I've been driving a car for 34 years.  I have never in that 34 years hit an animal.  This week I have killed two birds with one car.  No... not on purpose.  And just so you know, both times I've thought to myself "Oh Father, I've added to Your sparrow tally."  (See Matthew 10:29 if you are wondering about that...)  


But I digress again...


Let me make the stipulation that these were "Kamikaze" birds.  They flew straight at my car.  Now I realize that there are very few people that would find anything spiritual in the dive-bombing deaths of two birds, but... you are not me.  When the second bird hit the pavement, I had to ask the question:  Why twice in one week after 34 years of a perfect "no bird kill" record?


There was no way for me to swerve to miss the little missiles.  I was in control of the car (aka "Hershey"), but I wasn't in control of the bird.  I was just staying on the narrow road and, BAMB!, bird carnage.  And BAMB! - Metaphor.


Trials and temptations assail us every day on the narrow road.  I was thankful for Hershey.  I could have been that male supermodel dude who ended up with a bird in his face.  The only difference was there was something between me and the bird.  Glass and metal.  Long-haired supermodel was on the fun road - the roller coaster - no real purpose, just be merry.  I'm sure when the bird found his face, the ride was no longer fun.  As a believer, there is something between me and the "birds" that assail us.  Psalm 3 says that God is a shield AROUND us.  Not just in front of us, but around us.  That doesn't mean we won't get dive-bombed.  It's just proof we are on the narrow road, that God leads us right to the ambush, and yet fortifies us for the moment.  The slings and arrows of the moment are no match for the shield of faith, the breastplate of righteousness, and the helmet of salvation.  


And I really didn't have to DO anything.  Just stay the course.  Just abide in my little car.  Hmmm.  Just stay the course - stay on the narrow road of the will of God.  Just abide.  Abide in the faith and love and righteousness of Christ.  When the temptation assails you, when the trial dive-bombs you (and both will), when the enemy sends the "Kamikazes" your  way, we can keep moving faithfully forward on the narrow road knowing that we are secure in Him.  There may be a few dings in our shield, but nothing hits us that hasn't already hit Him first.  The damage assessment is done by Him, and He will repair and restore when needed.  We can leave the kamikaze casualties behind us.  


Interestingly, "kamikaze" means "divine wind or God-wind".   Helps me to see that even suicidal winged-missiles can be ordained by God's purposes.  Every time I hear about "killing two birds with one stone" - I'm going to think about 2 Kamikaze birds that lost their lives to remind me that one stone was rolled away so God's glory could be manifested in the midst of my struggles on the narrow road of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments: